Written on 23/01/2020 by Erika C.
Hedge Trimmer: A Guide on how to choose the right model for you
The hedge trimmer is a gardening tool that will take care of cutting the hedges for you: forget the fatigue and go into this guide to discover its features. This tool is a dream for those who are passionate about DIY and are very keen on their garden, but at the same time they do not have the possibility to dedicate them to manual care with a saw and shears; it is equipped with a long serrated sword, with which you can reach different angles and if you already have a brush cutter, and you are wondering what the difference is between this tool and the hedge trimmer, we clarify your doubt by telling you that the latter does not only work on the ground, but it can reach different heights for a super defined and homogeneous cut.
Electric hedge trimmer
The electric hedge trimmer is ideal for those who need to take care of their garden quickly and effectively. However, a problem could arise: what level of noise does it have? Would it create issues with the neighborhood? Is it a complicated machine to use? ... We have good news: the electric hedge trimmer is then the one for you!
This type is much quieter and lighter than a petrol engine model and is an excellent tool in the home: it is super handy, and you can carry it where you want it without fatigue.
Petrol hedge trimmer
The petrol hedge trimmer is the best garden tool for those who need to use it in a professional environment or for those who are more demanding and must deal with extensive areas. The main feature of this type is undoubtedly the power and its durability over time. With the petrol-driven hedge trimmer, you'll get the job done in no time, and at the same time, you'll be able to cut even bigger branches. Choose the type of feed you prefer, and you'll get lasting and unprecedented results.
Battery hedge trimmer
The battery hedge trimmer is the symbol of innovation and cutting edge excellence. In terms of performance, it is similar to the electric one, it has no excessive power and is very light, quiet, and versatile. The battery system also offers the added value that will allow you to do your job without any restrictions concerning the power supply and generally, recharge times are around 30 minutes. On our site, you can buy this type of machine with or without a battery. Also, you can purchase the batteries individually. Now you can save money in the long term: companies have now entered the perspective of creating a unique battery that works well for garden tools and others.
For this reason, this type is ideal for those who have to deal with small areas, which do not imply necessarily continuous work sessions.
Telescopic hedge trimmer
The high hedges have a unique charm because they give the garden delicacy and liveliness. Beautiful to look at, but inconvenient at the time of pruning: which method should you use? The answer is ___The telescopic hedge trimmer!
Thanks to its extendable handle, you can reach different heights. The telescopic hedge trimmer allows you to move freely without the need to use ladders. Also, you don't have to worry about making inaccurate cuts because you are using tools that slip easily from your hands. On our site, you will find different models of telescopic hedge trimmers. If you are worried that they are heavy for you, don't worry: the lightest among those present in the online catalog weighs only 3.4 kg!
Lovers of tradition will surely remain faithful to the traditional manual hedge trimmer. These tools refer to all shears and hedge trimmers. These tools are suitable for those who prefer more specific control of the surface to be cut, as in the case of ornamental pruning, in which even a small mistake could ruin all the work. If you are working in a garden with many different custom shapes, the manual hedge trimmer is the one for you. Those on our site are equipped with non-stick coatings and pads that will prevent the appearance of blisters: nothing will prevent you from taking care of your green!
CHARACTERISTICS TO BE ASSESSED
- Power: power is one of the critical features in choosing a hedge trimmer. Whether it is watts or horses, these values allow you to calculate the maximum power that the machine can reach. The general rule that a hedge trimmer is more powerful and achieves high performance in terms of cutting and speed. Everything depends, as always, on your needs and what we can do is support them, still offering you a wide variety of options.
- Cutting speed: the cutting speed gives indications on the number of turns that the blade will make in a certain period of time (calculated in minutes or seconds) and as we had already mentioned, this characteristic is closely linked to the wattage: the power of the motor is directly proportional to the cutting speed and with these two values you will consequently get better efficiency on cutting thicker branches and thicker hedges.
- Cutting length: the cutting length corresponds precisely to the length of the serrated blade; with a long blade (or even better telescopic), you will also work without problems on even hedges that extend in height, but on the other hand you could easily prefer a shorter one to have more control and get more precise cuts. Both are more than valid, and it's up to you to choose based on the type of work you need to do.
- Cutting thickness: with the cutting thickness we mean the maximum thickness of the branch that the blades will be able to cut: usually it goes from 15 and 20 mm for the cheaper models up to a good 40 mm for the most advanced models and also this characteristic is linked to the maximum power of the engine.
- Distance between the teeth for serrated blades: this expression refers to the space between the teeth of the serrated blade: the closer they are to each other, the more they will adapt to compact hedges; on the contrary, if these are far away, you will work more efficiently with thick and intricate hedges and branches.
- Weight: this aspect has a lot to do with quality: do not confuse lightness with poor manufacturing, because today, the best products can combine both perfectly and in this case, therefore eye for the brand to you entrust.
- Cable length: the cable length is an element that must be evaluated with great care in case you want to opt for an electric hedge trimmer. Usually, the cables that are on the market are not very long; therefore, if you have to deal with a vast area and do not want to give up the comfort offered by an electric tool, you can always buy an additional extension cable that It will solve this small inconvenience.
- Handle: this aspect is essential for doing a good job. To make a smart purchase, you should always consider whether the product you are buying has an ergonomic handle or not; usually, the latter involves a non-slip rubber coating to avoid getting hurt due to prolonged movements and helps to achieve high-level performance in total comfort and safety.
Bosch hedge trimmer
Bosch is one of the most popular brands when it comes to gardening and power tools. You will enjoy many choices when buying electric or battery-powered hedge trimmers, but the type is not as crucial as the professionalism and quality that such brand offers. Choose our Bosch AHS 50-20 LI cordless hedge trimmer, and you can cut branches, twigs, fruits, and small trees. Its modern design and compact structure will allow you to maintain a comfortable position for the whole performance. Try it, and you won't regret it!
McCulloch hedge trimmer
The McCulloch hedge trimmer is the perfect mix between lightness and design: its robust shape and dark colors reflect the power of the engine. The ergonomic handle allows a wide range of movement, so you can work in different positions without encountering difficulty. Also, the wireless models are designed to produce less noise without losing anything in terms of power, and with McCulloch, you can say farewell to the problems of starting!
Alpine hedge trimmer
The Alpina hedge trimmer is the optimal solution for those who want to cut the hedges as efficiently as possible because the machines of this brand are light, easy to handle, and comfortable to use. You will not have to worry about getting tired, and on the other hand, you will have the security of being entrusted to a company that for years and years is committed to researching and testing the best to offer you always high quality and efficient service.
Oleomac hedge trimmer
With the OleoMac hedge trimmer, uneven or sloping terrain will no longer be an obstacle. Oleo-mac cares a lot about safety and comfort, and that is why they are equipped with a 180-degree rotating handle that allows you to work and reach even the most difficult points. Another strong aspect of this brand is its maintenance, which requires no technical knowledge. All you have to do is perform the frequent inspections of the mechanical components, replace them when necessary and clean them periodically with soft cloths or brushes. As for the blade, it would be advisable to clean it after each cut and spray a light layer of oil, to prevent the formation of rust __ Easier than that…